My thrifty endeavor for the day is a dress for Bitty Baby, sewn from an outgrown girls dress. Unlike the 18 inch American Girl Doll, the more petite, 16 inch doll doesn’t have many sewing patterns. I have used 18 doll patterns in the past. And the main difference is that the Bitty Baby is a little larger around the torso. And her limbs are shorter.
This time, I used Kwik Sew Pattern, K3834 as a guide. The skirt pattern piece I used only for the length, since the gathers are already part of the original dress. I thought that the stripe at the waist would be really cute. But I’m not crazy about it, now that I’m finished.
It seemed wrong, but the best way to cut the front of the Bitty Baby dress, was to lay it out on top of what had been the back of the girls dress. On this side, the waist stripe was the only detail.
There is a small bodice detail that I cut through. It shows on the back side of the new dress. But I’m okay with it.
I sewed the front to back pieces together at the sides. I find it easier to maneuver the sewing machine around the pieces that way.
For the lining, I cut the front lining from the remaining skirt. And the back pieces came from the sleeves of the original dress.
I sewed the dress together at the skirt in the back, and didn’t bother with velcro, since the dress is put on and taken off several times a day by an exuberant two year old. I may hem it at some point. But the fabric is thin from incessant washing. And I kept getting distracted. So I was done messing around with it for the day.
You can see the faux wrap detail that was on the original dress.
- Sweater to Skirts Refashion (christineathome.wordpress.com)