The baby clothes quilt is getting closer to being finished. The backing is on. It’s crooked and wonkey. But it’s on. I should not have attempted to use flannel with any expectation of accuracy. But hey, I’ve reused a piece of cloth (or several); less strain on the environment.
I machine quilted vertically, between every other column. Then I machine quilted out from the center column horizontally above a few rows. It isn’t perfect. But since a wild child will be using the quilt, sturdiness is key. Also, the wild child likes to untie quilts.
I made the bias tape myself, which takes, so, long. First cutting.
But finally the binding made it’s way onto the quilt.
I was able to machine sew one binding edge onto the quilt. Then, miraculously, I was able to hand stitch most of the rest of it on. The miracle being that I went to a friends home without my toddler, and as such was able to sew without having to constantly shield the needle from stabbing myself or a small airborne mammal.
At home I finished the last bit of the binding. I added some smaller squares strategically over mismatched corners, and attempted to tie the rest of the quilt. I only tied in four places, which is not nearly enough. Then I gave up. I’ll have to update again after a long car ride, during which I can tie while the toddler is restrained in a five point harness.
I really like the hand sewing this time of year. I sit outside if it isn’t terribly windy with a nice warm quilt on my lap. This is very motivating.