Tag Archives: Velveteen

Return with a Velveteen Doll Dress

After my long, unplanned blogging break I’m back. Around April, I became frustrated with my dysfunctional camera. And I realized that combined with all of the absolutely mandatory things I need to do, blogging became too much. But, I missed it – missed sharing and communicating with fellow sewing bloggers. And, I have a new camera.

I have been sewing in my absence (not as much as I would like). So, to catch up, here’s my latest labor of love, another velveteen doll dress for DD3.

DD3 was obsessed with the purple fabric. And I didn’t have enough of it to make a dress for her. So her doll was the next best thing. (The dress looks very blue in the pictures. But it is a vivid purple.)

I used a zigzag stitch to attach the ribbon belt.

American Girl Doll in Velveteen Dress

The lining is bagged toward the center. A lot of hand sewing went into this doll dress. If you look closely, you’ll see the slip stitch in the middle.

Slip Stitch Dress Lining Velvet Doll Dress

Instead of wrestling with a traditional hem, I bagged the lining to the waist.

The velveteen and lining (from a re-purposed shirt) kept slipping around. So I basted them at the armscyce, sleeve cap and top and bottom waist.

AG Doll Dress with Bagged Lining Hem

The fastening is velcro.

18 Inch Doll Dress with Velcro Fasteners

Advertisements

Holiday Dress in Velveteen and Silk

This is DD2’s holiday dress. I was able to finish it in time for Christmas.  In spite of my sewing it up in the 1T width, it is still pretty large, even with a white blouse underneath.  I used Butterick Pattern B4434, view D.

childs dress velveteen silk dupioni

Velveteen was not one of the recommended fabrics.  I happened to have velveteen.  So I hunted for an appropriate pattern and wasn’t able to find one with velveteen as a recommendation.  So I chose this Butterick Patten because it had very simple lines and no gathering.  It would have been cuter to use the view with slight gathering, because the skirt is silk dupioni (that I had left over from a friend’s wedding pillow).  But the silk skirt was a last minute change.  I had planned on making the entire dress in velveteen.

I also should have waited for my walking foot to arrive.  But I was ready to get on with the project.

childs dress velveteen silk dupioni

My grandmother always kept a box full of fancy buttons.  So whenever I make something for the girls that requires, or could be embellished by a button, I allow them to choose a button from the box.  Often they choose something that doesn’t seem to my adult sensibilities to match.  But I don’t really care about that.  I only care that they love it; and understand that it came from their great-grandmother.  In this case however, I think the sparkly button fits well with the dress.

Velvet and Silk Toddler Dress

My child is a terrible fit model.  She ran away with the dress and refused to take it off so that I could finish it and and help her to put a shirt on underneath.  I had to wrestle it off of her later to bundle her up so we could leave the house.  But at least here is an idea of how the dress looks on a human being.  I should still fit for Easter.

Velveteen Dress for 18 inch Doll

I had a new Kanani, American Girl doll, a seven year old girl complaining that she and Kanani don’t have matching outfits, and a skirt that had belonged to my grandmother. The velveteen was in perfect condition, but the style was dated, not in a cute, vintage way.

I purchased a pattern from Liberty Jane Patterns. Frozen Hot Chocolate Sewing Pattern to the rescue!  It was $3.99, which monetarily is all I paid for the dress, since I already owned the fabric, and notions.  For the lining, I fished a shirt that had belonged to DH out of the donation pile.  Since I only needed 1/2 yard each for the lining and velveteen, I had plenty of fabric.

Kanani American Girl Velveteen Dress

I didn’t have to tape the paper pattern pieces together, since the doll is so small, just cut them out with paper scissors prior to placing them on the fabric.  But I did baste all of the seams, and then serge them to prevent the velveteen from unraveling. I should have used a walking or rolling foot to keep the velveteen from bunching and skewing the seams.  But I didn’t have one at the time.  (Denial, that I really didn’t need to ever quilt, or sew velveteen, or anything that requires perceived great effort.)

It is a nice pattern with step-by-step photos.  And a terrific way to recycle formal wear.

A’s dress came from Kohl’s.  She loathes tights.  And she wears fancy dresses as everyday wear as often as possible, hence the leggings.

Matching Girl Doll Dress Formal