Tag Archives: walking foot

Corduroy Jumper for Toddler

The project du jour is a jumper for DD2, McCall’s Sewing Pattern M6154. It’s purpose is to be warm, cute, and bust some fabric stash. To be fair it’s more project of the week, because having a two year old in the house means there is no way I can sew it up in an afternoon.  But I prefer to call it the project of the day.

image

The floral fabric is leftover from a vest disaster. I made a vest so horribly unflattering that I gave it away. It’s cute fabric though, and should prevent the grey -green corduroy from looking drab.

I had planned on using my brand new roller foot.  But I discovered that it doesn’t fit my machine.  I don’t know if I ordered the wrong part, or ordered the correct part, and was sent the wrong thing.  I’ll have to follow up on that later, and return it.  For today, I didn’t want to spend the scant amount of time during which my child behaves long enough for me to sew returning a part.  I used the walking foot, as advised by More Fabric Savvy.  I could look things up on the internet.  But I like to have actual book references for sewing so that I don’t get distracted by all of the shiny things on my netbook, like Facebook, and Pinterest, or ads that move and flash.

image

I used sew in interfacing. I’m sure the fusible interfacing will turn up now that I don’t need it.

image

The pocket instructions are convoluted. I gave up on them and marked the top fold line, snipped to it, and then sewed a casing.  Then, threaded the elastic through the casing, and attached at each end.  Then turned under the edges and stitched.  It was ridiculously time consuming. Before I could finish, my toddler was wanting to help. If the children don’t rave that the pockets are amazingly cute, I won’t make this style again.

I am not completing the sewing steps in order because I want to avoid repeated thread changes.  So far so good with that.

Tomorrow (I hope), gathering the bodice, and attaching it to the yoke.  Or something.

Advertisements

Holiday Dress in Velveteen and Silk

This is DD2’s holiday dress. I was able to finish it in time for Christmas.  In spite of my sewing it up in the 1T width, it is still pretty large, even with a white blouse underneath.  I used Butterick Pattern B4434, view D.

childs dress velveteen silk dupioni

Velveteen was not one of the recommended fabrics.  I happened to have velveteen.  So I hunted for an appropriate pattern and wasn’t able to find one with velveteen as a recommendation.  So I chose this Butterick Patten because it had very simple lines and no gathering.  It would have been cuter to use the view with slight gathering, because the skirt is silk dupioni (that I had left over from a friend’s wedding pillow).  But the silk skirt was a last minute change.  I had planned on making the entire dress in velveteen.

I also should have waited for my walking foot to arrive.  But I was ready to get on with the project.

childs dress velveteen silk dupioni

My grandmother always kept a box full of fancy buttons.  So whenever I make something for the girls that requires, or could be embellished by a button, I allow them to choose a button from the box.  Often they choose something that doesn’t seem to my adult sensibilities to match.  But I don’t really care about that.  I only care that they love it; and understand that it came from their great-grandmother.  In this case however, I think the sparkly button fits well with the dress.

Velvet and Silk Toddler Dress

My child is a terrible fit model.  She ran away with the dress and refused to take it off so that I could finish it and and help her to put a shirt on underneath.  I had to wrestle it off of her later to bundle her up so we could leave the house.  But at least here is an idea of how the dress looks on a human being.  I should still fit for Easter.